Thursday, January 29, 2009

Pandora - Online Radio

I am guessing that many of you readers out there have heard about Pandora. I hope that you have. Its not that new to me either - my friend told me about the site a long time ago. Either way, maybe you could use a refresher.

Pandora is the music Genome project - it's like, mapping the genes of like, music, and stuff. Less hippy, Pandora is a free online dynamic radio service that matches music you choose to listen to with other music that you like or are bound to like based on your tastes. How does it work? The service has a large database of music that has been classified according to artist, genre, sound, and other features that allows their servers to combine favorable music lists. It bases its information on information from thousands of users that provide a simple thumbs up or thumbs down on each song on a station.



The site is SUPER easy to use. It has a really clean look (not a ton of ads, simple design, good flow, etc). As I said, its free to listen and you don't need to setup an account. However, setting up an account is easy (requires simple information like e-mail, password, DOB, Zip) and once you set up an account you will be able to save "stations" that you made and continue to listen to them later. Basically, the site is brilliant!

This morning, in honor of today's post, I started a new station. I searched the band "Audioslave" and it pulled up a great song by the band. The next song was Pearl Jam, then Nirvana, Incubus, Audioslave (again), Red Hot Chili Peppers, Bush, Foo Fighters, and on and on. Holy cow! Good Listening!! WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THIS SITE?! I would be bathing in coins, Ducktails style.

A good thing, by the way, is that you can advance to the next track on the station if you don't like a song. You should remember to rate the music that you hear (thumbs up or down) so that the server gets smarter and smarter and you get better and better music. THE BIG BONUS: you get to learn about music that maybe you didn't know you like but that you do! That's huge for all you stagnant music listeners out there! DYNAMIC RADIO is just what the doctor ordered. The only bad thing that I can think of is that it won't let you go back to previous songs. I kinda hate that. But oh well, small price to pay for brilliancy!

3 comments:

Natalie said...

I am embarrassed to say I have never used this, but I will starting today. It sure is a brilliant idea. Keep thinking and maybe a duck tales style idea will come your way!

Natalie said...

Ok I just have to say after having pandora going all day as I have been doing things around the house I love it! Maybe I am SO predictable, but I have enjoyed almost every song and it's nice to be pleasantly surprised with a ton of different artists that I like.

Derek said...

Love Pandora! It's my bread and butter at work. Not only do I love my personally created stations, but w/in the genre section you can get good ideas from the shared stations as well. There is a Nature Sounds general shared station that I'm in love with. I'm not familiar enough with artists in that genre to be able to create my own station so I got ideas from there. It's like I'm in a freakin spa! Way to give props to a much deserving site!