Friday, February 20, 2009

Fences

Today's post continues the "desktop organization" theme (please read the bonus post as well). Let me start by saying that I hate desktop clutter - especially desktop icons. I realize, however, that they can be a necessary evil and if you were to look at my desktop, you would see that I use it quite often to save and temporarily store files. If we have to use the desktop to store files and shortcuts I think we better keep them organized. We DON'T want to look like this:
I think I just threw up in my mouth...

Fences, by Stardock, is the free program that is going to help us use our desktops more efficiently. It is only for PC users. Fences does 3 useful things:
  1. Groups Like-Items: Fences builds small "yards" (thats what I call them) for desktop items - areas where you can place similar icons by whatever preference. After placing an item in the yard, the file snaps to that space and is "fenced" in. You can create as many areas as you want for whatever purpose you want and organize them how you want!
  2. Hides and Unhides ALL desktop items: Fences lets you, by the click of your mouse, hide the entire desktop so you don't have to see all the stuff you keep on it. When you need something, you just click anywhere in the desktop space to bring the items back.
  3. Customization: Fences lets you customize colors, sizes, shapes, etc. of the areas that you place your icons. It actually makes your desktop more compartmentalized, clean, and easy to use.
I don't have a lot of icons, but you can see that the areas are blue...

It's like placing clothes in all the right drawers - you put them there, the bedroom looks organized, you can customize the size and shape to fit your "room," and the clothes are hidden from view until you need them.

Overall, I really like Fences. Even though I hate the notion of cluttering up the desktop or overusing it, I know that a lot of people (sometimes myself to a very limited degree) do this and get buried by icons.

Right now the program is a free beta. I wonder if in the near future they are going to make a fully stable version and charge for it. Knowing Stardock, its likely. So download Fences now and take advantage of its features!

1 comment:

Derek said...

A little off topic for this post, but I have a question. Is there a music equivalent to IMDB? Sometimes I'd like to know more about artists.