Thursday, May 15, 2008

RSS Feeds and Google Reader



I enjoy "blogging" to an extent. I like to blog because I feel like it is a great way to stay in touch with friends and family. One thing is for sure, though, I never thought I would have my own blog. I created this blog in an effort to tell people about some of the stuff I think is cool on the internet. Anyway, so if you are reading this blog, that meant you had to come to my site by either typing in the url or whatever. To me, the worst part of checking other peoples blog is having to check each one individually. You have to go to each site separately and it can be time consuming and annoying. This is is why RSS feeds come in handy.

What is an RSS feed? Basically, they change the way you look at the internet. Rather than you going to your favorite sites (the ones that are updated regularly like blogs and news sites), you bring the sites to you. All you have to do is subscribe (for free) to a RSS reader like Google Reader. I found Google Reader to be the easiest to use but I'm sure there are other really good ones. Anyway, you set up your account (which takes like 45 seconds) then you simply go to your favorite sites and click on the RSS feed symbol which is located on the navigation toolbar (where you type in a web address) and go through the steps to add it to your reader (which takes about 10 seconds). Its really easy and it puts all of your favorite sites in one place, saving you millions of seconds. Here is a nifty video that explains RSS in very simple terms:

Try it out, you will see that its really easy to use and makes viewing your favorite sites much easier and faster. You can even add my site to your RSS reader.

For more info, go here: RSS Feeds

1 comment:

Natalie said...

I really like this one honey. I am not sure how you find out about all of this cool stuff, but I want to use this one. It makes a lot of sense. I sure love you sweetie!